#OOTD: Eden pants in black & Mindy top in leopard from @igigistyle, & @Sam_Edelman leopard loafers. #plussize #fashion
via Instagram http://ift.tt/14kMNZa
via Instagram http://ift.tt/14kMNZa
via Instagram http://ift.tt/1oOQajZ
Well, this week sure hit the ground running, didn't it! Well, for me, anyway (and for some folks I work with), it's been crazy busy, and how it is already all of a sudden the 7th?!? Gah! I can't keep up! Anyway, here's my five random things for the week:
1. I started writing ... er ... something for NaNoWriMo this year, but I keep forgetting to put my word count on the website. I rectified that yesterday, and while I'm woefully behind, the month is young, so I'm not too terribly worried. (Except that it's the 7th already!!!)
2. I've narrowed down my bedroom paint colours to three:
They are (from left to right): Twilight Grey, Silver Screen, and Pewter Mug. They are all Behr Premium Flat, or Matte (can't remember which!). I'm kinda leaning towards Silver Screen, but I really like all of them! My final decision will be made tomorrow!
3. Speaking of which, we're going to start the painting process this weekend, rather than wait until Thanksgiving weekend as previously planned. Tomorrow we're buying the paint, primer, and supplies, and will put the primer coat on by Sunday. We also have to mow our lawn this weekend, because that rain we got last weekend - which was lovely! - coupled with 80 degree weather this past week added up to a very happy lawn that decided to grow very tall! So THAT will be fun! I have Tuesday off for Veteran's Day, and we're going to paint that day. Hopefully. If we feel up to it. Fingers crossed because I'm moving into the living room until my room is done (and the primer/paint stops stinking), and I don't relish the thought of being out there the whole month!
4. Oh, by the way, next Friday I'll be on vacation, so there probably won't be a Friday Five. I'm going to Monterey to participate in the Pacific Grove Lighthouse 5k. It's my last 5k of the year, and I'm just hoping I survive - I haven't done ANY training for this AT ALL, and my last 5k was in July! Wish me luck!
5. And finally, I started reading Rebecca Rasmussen's new book Evergreen, and I love it! I highly HIGHLY recommend this book! I loved her first book, The Bird Sisters, and recommend that, too. This might tie with The Taste of Apple Seeds as my favourite book of 2014!
What are you reading right now? Do you love it? Hate it? Don't care one way or the other? Well, I hope whatever you're reading you're enjoying, and that you all have a fantastic weekend! Cheers!
via Instagram http://ift.tt/1xgma03
Hello, and welcome to NOVEMBER!! Holy cow this year is flying by! I would seriously love to just stop and catch my breath, but unfortunately this month will be even busier with a 4-day weekend/vacation in Monterey where I'll also be participating in a 5K (which I have NOT trained for AT ALL, and will probably DROP DEAD during the course of, just FYI), NaNoWriMo, and some bedroom remodelling/painting over Thanksgiving weekend. Sheesh! I'm exhausted just thinking about it all!
Anyway, before I dive headfirst into the madness that will be the next 30 days of my life, let me share a few of my favourite things from October. Enjoy!
Cosmetics: I started using Maybellene Brow Drama Sculpting Brow Mascara in Soft Brown this past month, and really really like it! Yes, I was super excited about the at-home brow tinting kit I'd been using since last July, because it was easy and saved me a couple steps in the morning, but I found this product just about the time I was ready to tint my brows again, and found the Brow Drama applied really easily and quickly, made my brows slightly darker (but not too dark), appear a little thicker, and even disguised my grey eyebrow hairs (SO embarrassed to admit I even HAVE grey eyebrow hairs, but hey, there ya go, full disclosure!). That's not something I was able to do with a simple eyebrow pencil, so, yeah, I'm impressed!
Recently I dug out a bunch of autumn-coloured nail polishes I've been saving just for this time of year, and had two in particular I really liked. The first is one of my all-time faves: a limited edition Cover Girl 3-in-1 polish in Autumn Flame. I bought this at an Ulta store in Costa Mesa many, many, MANY years ago, and have been hoarding it ever since. Seriously, I only use it once a year, and even then, only once or twice because I can't find it anymore, and I love it!
My second favourite autumn colour is one I bought a few months ago: Cover Girl Outlast Stay Brilliant Glosstinis in Inferno. I believe this was a special edition to go with the Hunger Games movie that was released earlier this year, but it's a perfect colour for fall, so I saved it, cause it's a really teeny tiny bottle.
So, I've been using the Urban Decay's eye shadows I bought recently at Ulta (in Sin, Lost, and Virgin) all month, and I love them! I know I stayed in my comfort zone and ended up choosing similar colours to my favourite CoverGirl eyeshadow trio (Cafe au Lait), which is basically some tan/brown/nudes. The Urban Decay ones are a bit bolder than the CG's and are a bit sparkly, glittery, gah, I don't know exactly what, but no matter how careful I am, or how hard I tap off the excess shadow, I always end up with a lot of sparkle-glitterness on my nose and cheeks, which is cute when you're five, but is a bit annoying when you're a few years older (heh) ...
However ... that brings me to my ...
Fave Beauty Tip of the Month: My cousin-in-law, Jocelyn from BootCampBeauty.com recently gave me some great advice about this very problem. She told me she found it helpful to put on the eye make up first, THEN the foundation, blush, and finishing powder. I tried it, and voila! No more unwanted glitter on my face! Yay! Thanks, Joceclyn, you rock! (Seriously, go check out her YouTube channel, Boot Camp Beauty Tips!)
Fashion: I did some shopping over the past couple months, and ended up with some really cute new things. Unfortunately I haven't been photographing my Outfit of the Day very often, because it's so dark in the morning when I'm getting ready for work that even with my bedroom light and the hall light on, it's hard to get a good picture of the clothes. I haven't figured out what I'm going to do about that just yet, so, stay tuned, I guess. I did, however, just do a shoe unboxing post, so you can go check that out if you're so inclined!
Music: I don't remember what ad it's been playing on, but I've been enjoying the revival of Andrew W.K.'s song Party Hard - just as much head-banging fun as I remember! Also, just discovered a super cool new violinist, Lindsey Sterling, through nerdist.com. Vanessa-Mae will always be my all-time fave, but this chick's talented!
So that's it! What were some of your favourite things from the month of October? Let me know in the comments!
By the way, sorry I don't have any pictures - my iPhone is basically full and won't let me take any more pics, and my regular camera is having issues with memory cards. Hopefully I'll be able to fix one or both problems soon! Have a great November, everyone! Cheers!
Teaser Tuesdays is a weekly bookish meme, hosted by MizB of Should Be Reading. Anyone can play along! Just do the following:
•Grab your current read •Open to a random page •Share two (2) “teaser” sentences from somewhere on that page •BE CAREFUL NOT TO INCLUDE SPOILERS! (make sure that what you share doesn’t give too much away! You don’t want to ruin the book for others!) •Share the title & author, too, so that other TT participants can add the book to their TBR Lists if they like your teasers!
This week I'm back to reading on my nook, and discovered I'd downloaded a new Rebecca Rasmussen book, Evergreen. I really enjoyed The Bird Sisters, so I am very excited to read this book! I got to chapter four this monring on the bus, and already I'm 100% invested in Emil and Eveline's story! Here are some teasers from page 21:
Eveline wondered what had happened to all the Yellow Falls girls who got married and moved south to Minneapolis and sometimes as far as Chicago, places that seemed like they were part of another world now. On a map, hunderds of rural miles separated her from them, but this distinction seemed more pressing than inches on a map: in Eveline's world girls talked to birds, and in the other one they talked to one another.
Yes, so far at least, there are birds in this book, too! It's quite delightful! Happy Tuesday! Cheers!
via Instagram http://ift.tt/1rOFgFS
TGIF and Happy Halloween! I regret I've done nothing for the "holiday" this year besides buy a funky pair of shoes and pull out all my skeleton/skull clothes and jewelry (which I basically wear all the time anyway, because I love skeletons and skulls!) to wear to work. Also, I bought a small bag of candy because there are a couple houses in the neighbourhood that have small children who might come trick-or-treating at our house. But, that's it. No decorating the house, no Jack O'Lantern on the front porch, nothing. I would feel guilty, but I'm just to dang tired.
Anyway. I thought about doing a Halloween-themed Friday Five this week, hence the post title, but in the end I couldn't really come up with anything too terribly frightening, so here's a regular old update instead.
1. I saw my chiropractor this past Tuesday and my jaw feels MUCH better than it has in a good couple weeks! It's still a bit tight (the TMJ is primarily on the left side), but there's a lot less pain and I can close my mouth all the way! Yay for adjustments!
2. After my appointment, I stopped by Ulta and picked up a few things. I fear this may become a monthly habit routine, as the Ulta is on my way home from the chiropractor. I used to stop at the Target center to go to Famous Footwear and buy shoes, but since I discovered ModCloth's awesome selection of shoes, I probably won't need to stop at FF for anything other than my cross trainers and Sketchers walkers. In fact I hadn't been to the Target center in quite a while; I was saving quite a bit of money. Then Ulta came. And everything changed. Anyway. Stay tuned for a new Ulta haul coming soon!
3. This weekend begins the Great Bedroom Redecorating 2014 in earnest. The plan is to buy three or four tester colours to paint on the wall, wash the walls, move out some furniture, and clean the baseboards (mostly to see if I 'll need to paint them, too. I sincerely hope not!). The original plan was to do the painting over the four-day Thanksgiving weekend, but if I get a paint colour chosen and purchased this next week, we might get it all done next weekend!
4. Also this weekend NaNoWriMo starts, and I have no idea what I'm writing. I have three old story ideas I've been toying around with and may revive one of them, or I might just pick a new, out-of-my-comfort-zone genre and write something completely different. I dunno. Yet.
5. Oh, and btw, here's my paint colour short list paintchips with my ceiling light on and off. I've been toying with greys and sages, but, leaning more towards the lighter of the greys. I don't really want my room to be too dark, like a cave, but at the same time I want some show of colour; not just some washed-out shade. I'm still on the fence, but have to decide this weekend. Stay tuned!