2011 Year in Review #holidailies
December 31, 2011
Amazingly it's time for the End of the Year Meme I've been doing since 2004.
1. What did you do in 2011 that you'd never done before? Moved over to the Family Law Department and started helping customers over the counter and on the phone.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year? I don't recall making resolutions last year (and I can't find them in my archives), so I think I'm exempt from this one!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth? My cousin, Jess, had an adorable baby boy earlier this year and a couple co-workers had babies, too.
4. Did anyone close to you die? Yes, my grandma died in September.
5. What countries did you visit? Sadly, despite getting a passport, I didn't make it out of the country this year.
6. What would you like to have in 2012 that you lacked in 2010? Courage.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why? September 27 - the day my grandma died (though we didn't learn about it until the following day).
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year? Being promoted to Family Law and working counters. (It was no more money, however, just the new experiences and ablility to update my resume!)
9. What was your biggest failure? Not finishing my NaNoWriMo novel.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury? No injuries, but several illnesses - just the usual colds and flus, though, thankfully nothing serious.
11. What was the best thing you bought? I bought a new computer, a nook colour, and stock in the Green Bay Packers.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration? Pretty much all my friends simply for being awesome.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed? A relative of a friend of mine behaved very, very badly, but I won't mention which friend to protect his (or her) feelings.
14. Where did most of your money go? Travel - I vacationed in San Francisco and Seattle this year.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about? Visiting Seattle with one of my besties! I hadn't seen DeeDee in ages and I haven't been to Seattle in forever and we saw and did tons of awesome stuff, so it was very, very cool!
16. What song will always remind you of 2010? Galaxies by Owl City.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? a little sadder because I miss my grandma.
b) thinner or fatter? thinner, but only by about 10 or 15 pounds.
c) richer or poorer? poorer due to the once-montly unpaid furlough days.
18. What do you wish you'd done more of? I wish I'd spent more time at the beach, did more rubber stamp art and did more writing.
19. What do you wish you'd done less of? Laying around on my fat ass doing nothing and/or watching stupid things on television.
20. How will you be spending Christmas? I spent Christmas with my mom and grandpa. We had a lovely dinner and celebrated my grandpa's birthday with chocolate cake.
21. Did you fall in love? Oh, hell, no!
22. How many one-night stands? None.
23. What was your favorite TV program? I totally love "Glee", "Doctor Who", "Fringe", "Terra Nova", "The Big Bang Theory", and "Chuck".
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year? Yes.
25. What was the best book you read? That's a loaded question, as I read over 40 books this year and really enjoyed several of them, but here's my top 5: Purple Daze by Sherry Shahan, Diary of a Witness by Catherine Ryan Hyde, Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury, The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and The Dark and Hollow Places by Carrie Ryan
26. What was your greatest musical discovery? Owl City - I absolutely LOVE the fun lyrics and the great beat of their songs.
27. What did you want and get? A nook colour.
28. What did you want and not get? A new cell phone, but I'm working on that now, so perhaps I'll have one very soon!
29. What was your favorite film of this year? I think I only saw one new movie this year and that was Breaking Dawn Part 1. And, yeah, it was good!
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you? I turned 45 and didn't do anything special.
31.What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying? Attending Weetacon VII.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2010? Absolute and total comfort.
33. What kept you sane? Music.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most? I've wound up with a slight crush on Jim Parsons from "The Big Bang Theory". He's hilarious!
35. What political issue stirred you the most? Meh, I don't want to get into politics.
36. Who did you miss? My grandma.
37. Who was the best new person you met? Liam - my adorable second cousin.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010. Everything can be fixed.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
Dear God, I was terribly lost,
When the galaxies crossed,
And the Sun went dark.
Dear God, You're the only North Star,
I would follow this far.
Oh telescope, keep an eye on my only hope,
Lest I blink and be swept off the narrow road.
Hercules, you've got nothing to say to me,
'Cause you're not the blinding light that I need.
For He is the saving grace of the Galaxies!
He is the saving grace of the Galaxies!
Galaxies by Owl City